This passage is one of the most gripping and glorious scenes in the Bible as Jesus raises his friend Lazarus from the dead. This story ends in glorious clarity of Jesus’ powerful love, but it begins with cloudy gloom and disorienting confusion.
This story opens and Lazarus is gravely ill, and so they call for Jesus. They expect Jesus to drop everything and come save his friend. But that’s not what Jesus does, and they are disoriented.
Have you ever been there? Have you ever prayed your guts out only to find yourself disappointed with God?
What do we do when God doesn’t make sense?
Ten anchors for the soul when God doesn’t make sense.
- God is working always for His glory and our good.
- God will sometimes lovingly disappoint us.
- Jesus gladly risks his life for his friends.
- Nothing is beyond hope in the hands of Jesus.
- Jesus is life from beyond the walls of the world.
- God weeps with us.
- Doubt is a natural companion to grief.
- God’s ways are not our ways.
- Resurrection is just a cry away.
- God is authoring a redemptive twist.
Takeaway: When you can’t trust His hand, trust His heart.