About the Position
Thank you for your interest in the Senior Pastor position at The Moody Church!
We have created this information site to introduce you to The Moody Church, including our beliefs, history, and governance. You will also find a Candidate Information Packet and a link to our Annual Report.
For a glimpse into the “real” Moody Church, please take a few minutes to enjoy the video below, created in 2014 for our 150th anniversary celebration. We hope it will give you a sense of who we are, although we know it only scratches the surface.
First and foremost, The Moody Church is committed to proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ, and we continually rejoice in celebrating the joy of changed lives. We are dedicated to making sure The Moody Church is a trusted place where anyone can connect with God and others.
If you have questions or would like to submit your resume, please contact our Search Representative through the form at the bottom of the page. Again, we thank you for your interest.
Primarily through the exercise of his strong teaching and preaching gifts, the Senior Pastor will assist in shepherding the congregation of The Moody Church toward the fulfillment of our God-given, Bible-based purpose: to evangelize, edify, and equip people to be true worshipers and effective representatives of Jesus Christ so that we all may “have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming” (1 John 2:28).
- He will hold true to the church’s Constitution, including its doctrines and moral teachings.
- He will honor the history of the church and prepare the congregation for the future.
- He will protect the flock from false teaching and will seek the unity of the congregation.
- He will, in concert with the Elder Council, establish the vision, direction, and strategy of the church.
- He will have either a Master of Divinity or its equivalent, and will demonstrate that he is conversant in matters of theology and contemporary cultural issues.
- He will have a servant style of leadership.
- He must meet the qualifications of an elder, as listed in 1 Timothy 3:1–7 and Titus 1:6–9 and as identified in the church’s Constitution.
- He will continue to grow in his relationships with Jesus Christ, his wife, and his family.
- He will devote himself to prayer and the ministry of the Word. He must have a burden for prayer and lead the congregation in seeking God regularly.
- He will be known as a man of integrity, humility, and personal holiness.
- He must delight in making other people a success through his personal mentoring and encouragement, and in his witness for Christ in personal relationships outside the church.
- His wife must be a mature Christian woman devoted to the Lord, her husband, and her children (if any). She must be completely supportive of her husband’s role as pastor.
- He must demonstrate a love for God and His Word, and a love for people.
- He must demonstrate a God-given call to the ministry.
- He must have the ability to preach, teach, and apply the Word of God in challenging, relevant ways.
- He must have the ability to relate well with people from many different backgrounds and ethnicities. He must be mindful of our promise statement: “The Moody Church is a trusted place where anyone can connect with God and others.”
- He must have strong, proven communication and leadership skills and experience.
- He must have the ability to unify and mobilize people in pursuit of a common vision, for the benefit of both the church and the wider community.
- He must have the ability to develop and lead a high-caliber ministry team.
- He will prepare and deliver messages for Sunday morning services (typically 40 weeks per calendar year) and will generally lead (but not necessarily deliver the message for) a similar number of Wednesday prayer meetings. He will lead other church services and functions as appropriate. He will give direction to our worship services in cooperation with the Worship Committee.
- He will primarily preach expository sermons drawing out from the biblical text, and bringing to bear in our lives, those truths that God intended to communicate to us.
- He will, in conjunction with the Elders, develop goals to ensure the successful implementation of the vision, direction, and strategy of the church.
- He will transition to become the host of Moody Church Hour (with the expectation that this transition will be completed before the end of the second year of his tenure). In concert with the Managing Director of Media, he will develop other digital and broadcast media as appropriate.
- He will be available to the congregation for counseling and ministry needs as appropriate.
- He will represent The Moody Church to the wider community through missions challenges, media opportunities, Bible conferences, etc.
- He will serve as the Chief Administrative Officer of The Moody Church.
- He will provide direct supervision and goal setting for the Executive Pastor and Managing Director of Operations.
- He will perform other duties as assigned by the Elder Council.
- He will be a member of the Elder Council and the chairman of the Leadership Council.
- He will report directly to the Elders and work with them in all matters related to the ongoing ministry of the church, such as budgets, future directions, staff issues, etc.
- He will lead meetings of the ministry staff and will chair the church’s annual and semi-annual congregational meetings.
- He will serve as an ex-officio member of all church bodies, including standing subcommittees.